FOIL WRAPPED JUICY FISH!!!
Juicy succulent simple fish wrapped in foil and utmost love as always!!! 🙂
Hello my dear friends and families. How you people are doing these days?? Am sure the heat and humidity exhausting all of us equally in this summer. So did you guys try my simple easy desert recipe from my last post?? Trust me it would definitely help a bit to deal with the patchy sweaty weather. Today am gonna share one of my very favourite and dear to my heart recipe. Dear to heart because when i make it at home, my son Rik relishly eat it all. Its like for three people one big fillet falls short most of the time. Rik ain’t a fish person at all. Its a hard task for me to feed him regular varieties of fish to him on an everyday basis. But when i make this special one, then me and my hubby keep staring mostly at it and satisfy ourselves with 1/4th of it only. SERIOUSLY!!!!!
So last Friday, I found the fillet lying peacefully in my freezer for a long time and thought of utilizing it to make my son and Hubby happy. Yes i love to cook but i love to see my son and hubby happily eating too. You see not all of my recipes and experimentation succeed every time. And i feel bad and try to show some mercy on my personal Guinea pigs my son and hub :p !!!
Anyways i took it out and defrosted it normally and started preparing my very own version of grilled fish with uncertainty at heart as most of the times i keep forgetting the actual measurements of the ingredients that i use. I swear this happens with me all the time and that’s another reason behing my blogging these recipes. At least now i know where to look into. Lol!!! After the final showdown of the preparation i was a bit skeptical, but at the end, when i found only 1/4th left, out of the whole fish for myself, it gave me a good night sleep and a huge grin on my face.
Let me tell you few things first. Here i have used Basa Fillets, bought from Metro Cash And Carry, all cut and cleaned and freezes and sold out in packets. You can buy fresh cut one big fillet too from your known markets, it could be local fish markets or Spencer or Big Bazar too. Another thing is that i did it with Basa fillet, you can do it with Betki Fillet too. They are mostly same. Just i feel Basa is softer than Bekti fish. And mostly i shop all groceries and all these stuff like basa fillets, squid, mixed seafood, Ham, Bacon, sausage, nuggets and etc., from Metro Cash And Carry in bulk once a month. So i mostly buy Basa only. Its okay if you use bekti fillets too. Another thing is that i cook it on gas oven only. If you guys wanna make it in otg or microwave oven, your choice. In that case, Google about the timings and use your common sense and experiment about it. Am sure it will click in sometime if not in first couple of times. When i first made it, i didn’t use any foil, I directly cooked on a grill pan on gas oven and what i found out is that, if your pan is not properly seasoned, even if it is nonstick, your fish might stick to the base and then taking it out from the pan could be a real nitty gritty and dirty job and it will ruin the end result too, though my fish survived that by a notch then. :p Another point is that do not over cook the fish. Fish doesn’t need a lot of time to get cooked. So keep a tab on that.
Okay lets get going with our recipe today. I am sorry, I Blabber a hell lot ain’t it!!! What to do but please have patience folks!!!
Basa Fillet : 1 whole (as per requirements and you can opt for bekti fillet too)
Soya Sauce : 1 tbsp
Fish Sauce : 1 tbsp (if you dont have it no issues skip it)
Garlic : 4-5 pods crushed
Chilli Flakes : 2 pinches ( avoid it if your kid is not okay with it)
Rosemerry Herb : 3 pinches ( you can get it in spencers , in fact these are available these days almost in every stores. It enhances the taste of the fish giving a fresh feeling)
Lemon : 1/2 a slice
Pepperico Sauce : 3/4 drops (optional)
Oyester Sauce : 1 tsp (optional)
Chilli Garlic Sauce : 1 tsp ( optional)
Butter : 1/2 tsp
Olive Oil : 2 tbsp
Salt – As per seasoning
Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Aluminum Foil – 1-2 sheets
1. First thing first, clean the fillet under the tap water and towel dry it and keep it on an open surface. It can be on your chopping board or a flat plate or even on ur kitchen top. If you are using fresh fillet then you dont have to defrost and all. In case you are using frozen packaged stuff then take it out and defrost it manualy giving it some time in the room temperature. Donot defrost it in a microwave oven under the defrost mode. Fish gets cooked very fast and it will damage the texture that way. I repeat you can use basa or bekti fillet for this recipe. No issues. I chose basa as its more tastier than bekti according to me.
2. Place the fillet on an aluminium fpil sheet. And then start the marination procedure. You can grease the sheet with some oil if you think so. I didnt.
3. Now with the help of a fork , i make piercings on the fish so that the marination penetrates well into it. After that rub the surface of the fillet with a lemon slice. It helps you to get rid of any fishy stench. Well i do it to enhance the taste as lemon is an epitome of freshness and a bit of a tang.
4. Now sprinkle the black pepper powder over the fillet and rub it on both the sides.
5. Rub the crushed garlic on both the sides of the fillet properly.
6. Sprinkle chilli flakes over the fish fillet and spread it evenly.
7. Now take the rosemerry herb on your palm and crush it properly and spread and rub over the fillet evenly.
8. Pour some semi melted butter and spread over the fillet. Now take the soya sauce, pepperici sauce, fish sauce, oyester sauce and chilli garlic sauce , according to the measures mentioned above, in a bowl and mix well. Now pour it over the fish fillet and rub it properly and evenly on both the sides, so that the fish gets soaked in the marination.
9. Now if you can then taste the marination a bit. As it already have been rubbed in soya sauce , fish sauce and other sauces, so only sprinkle salt if necessary. Now give the fish an olive oil bathe. Rub olive oil over the marination on both the sides properly.
10. Now wrap the foil up and seal the fish from outside. You can use a separate foil to cover from above too. Leave it like that for 15 -30 minutes. Fish doesnt take much time to get marinated and cooked. In fact if you overcook it, it will not retain the juices and become tasteless and flaky.
11. After 30 minutes , grease a grill pan or a normal flat pan or a tawa with olive oil and heat it. Now place the foil wrapped fish on the grill pan and cook it on medium flame covered from above for 15 minutes maximum.
12. After 15 minutes, switch off the flame and take the foil out of it and place it on a plate. And tear open the foil wrap delicately. Too much pressure might break the fish as usually these tend to be on a softer side.
13. Serve it hot and fresh out of the pan just like that.
Honestly, i don’t serve it with any other side dips or sauces or any other condiments. Its a whole meal dish and adding other stuff only will ruin its natural taste. You can serve it with some raw green salad or thai salad too. It would look good. But as i am not into the garnishing game, and as i have a baby elephant , who doesnt budge from the room until its cooked and served, so i skip all the theatrics to be very honest. That i got to click so many pictures, is more than enough.
Another thing, this grilled fish is now a staple in my kitchen , so every time, i keep on experimenting with variety of sauces. If you want to keep it simple, then just marinate it with soya sauce, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper powder and olive oil or butter or vegetable oil. That would do. It would taste mighty fine trust me. Fish sauce and rosemerry herb enhance the taste of any continental dish. So if you can get to incorporate them into your kitchen, then do it. Trust me they wont disappoint you at all.
Another point is, i did it on a grill pan. I do have a grill microwave. But i prefer it like this in my grill pan over the gas oven. You can use flat nonstick pan or tawa on the gas oven to make it. And if you want to make it in a microwave oven, then dont wrap it in an aluminium foil. I am sure you guys know by now, that microwave oven and aluminium foils ain’t the best of the friends. In that case, you can place the marinated fish on a flat bottom micro safe plate or glasspan. You can cover it with cling fil and make pores into it. You can cook it in combi mode in 75% . It would help to retain juices in that case. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Check in between by inserting a knife into it. You can also reverse the sides if you want to. I have no experience with convection mode microwave at all and OTGs too. You can googe about it in that case. Or you can start doing experiments with the timer, the mode and stuff like that.
So here it is friends my very favourite Foil Wrapped Juicy Fish. You can have it with white wine, scotch, vodka and even coffee ad soft drinks. It is handsdown delicious. Hope you like it. Do read it as a detailed update has been provided here with pictorial descriptions. Hope that helps. So if you read it and felt it to be easy and good for a try, do like it and comment below about any sort of query. I would surely revert back ASAP. And do spread the word by sharing it in your social sites too. Thanks for reading and loving me as always. Please correct my mistakes and forgive me for the same. It’s insanely hot in Kolkata. Keep yourself hydrated, use sunscreen lotions, shades, umbrellas, masks and gloves to cover open skin in the day time. Keep ors packets handy at home or even in your bag along with a bottle of water. Opt for water activities for yourself and kids too. Its refreshing in this season.
Take care. God bless!!!!
Till the next time!!
Love and Hugs